Sunday, 12 February 2012

What is culture?

In the last 28 years I've been to 10 different schools, lived in 13 different cities, 8 countries, and played for at least 2 dozen sports teams. Whichever city or place I've experienced for either school or sport, I've always been embedded in a new culture; making new friends, getting used to new surroundings, new foods to taste, different attitudes and new ways of life are all part of the adventure.

Swaziland is like no where I've ever been.

More than 40% of the population live in huts with no electricity. What do you mean kids don't have physical education- or a free primary education? Fact: the average life expectancy is 37 years of age and HIV is worse since when the epidemic started. Grade 1 education is now free, so you have 16 year olds and 5 year olds learning in the same classroom. Children in schools have little opportunity to be creative, draw, play instruments, or learn basic fundamental movements like skipping rope or doing somersaults.

You’re a high performance athlete preparing for the Olympics. How? Who are your coaches. What funding or facilities or accommodation do you have that allows you to cook, clean or have running water. What competition before a competition. What nutrition or training program. What mental preparation or life skills education, what about confidence, self esteem building or concepts of teamwork.

Swaziland is beautiful.

The friendly people, the never ending rolling hills and mountains, the warmth minus the thunderstorms, the markets (fresh mangos) and language (I've heard a few clicks) and the soft spoken kindness are what makes this place magical...

I'm living in a cute little cottage in a gated neighbourhood (visitors welcome) and though I feel quite safe, often without electricity (flashlights needed) or hot water, with unknown insects glaring at me, know that every morning just after 5am the birds will be chirping, and the warmth of the sun will get me out of bed.

Most importantly though, I'm going to enjoy my work - coaching coaches, high performance planning (preparing/organizing aspiring Olympians), sport development projects, etc, finding new hobbies and making new friends...while at the same time, appreciate being online, even when it takes 2-3 minutes to load each page ;-) 

What is culture shock?

Ps. Thanks for all the messages, it's good to hear from home! Highlight of the week: buying crunchy skippy peanut butter wooo! Sorry, no photos yet, it's taken close to an hour to try so far...

4 comments:

  1. LD, I am so happy to see you blogging! I will be savouring every update and learning more about Swaziland and your experiences there. Lots of love from all 2.2 of us :) JD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to hear you are all right and in such high spirits. Definitely sounds like you are needed their and your skills and experience will be very appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks girls- great to hear from you! Hope home is good, I'll send you some heat xx

    ReplyDelete