Monday, 5 March 2012

Bits of work.

Be soft. Do not let the world make you hard.

While this is now my third week in Africa- I still believe it to be one of the most beautiful places. The never-ending mountains in the country-side are absolutely amazing, I’ve never seen anything like it. There is also a famous waterfall and game reserve close by so that’s on my next day off (I wonder when that will be..)
I’m settling into work- which is nothing less than nonstop work. The challenges of working in a place where politics and attitudes, and experiences are not familiar to you, are a challenge in itself.

On Friday, I had the pleasure of going to a fairly local private school which has been linked to a London school (in hopes of students exchanging cross-cultural experiences), where I was asked to talk about the Olympic movement and what the Games were all about. Though it must be hard for the students to imagine what 10,500 athletes in one stadium looks like, we talked about the opening, closing and medal ceremonies, the Olympic rings and the London mascot, as well as discussing some of the core values of Olympism; one which being friendship. I must admit that through sport and education, I’ve been blessed to have some of the most incredible friends anyone could ask for. Sport is more than just competition; it teaches you life skills, and for these children, I was hopefully able to share some of those experiences, and inspire them to take part in activities, or art or green projects (these are all part of Olympism). Where do values come from? You must catch them (perhaps through sport), they cannot be taught.

Though at the moment I'm trying to adjust to being in an office all day, I’m really hoping I can join this school on a more regular basis for their afternoon activity days. Also, later on that day, I stopped by our local Olympafrica centre, and witnessed some of the most talented rope skippers I’ve seen (skipping/break dancing to LMFAO- must try to get a video next time!). While there are again more politics regarding this centre for activity, I will do what I can to make sure it stays open..






1 comment:

  1. Cheetah Power!
    So far everything sounds great. =)

    ReplyDelete