Tuesday, 7 August 2012

Preparing for reverse culture shock!

I'm on my last countdown now as I'm leaving in a week, preparing for what I'm naming reverse culture shock! I can't really imagine being back to our fast-paced, technologically advanced and excessive way of life. Life here is quite simple, taking one day at a time, understanding the concept of 'Swazi-time', that being late is not really a concept many people take into consideration. I don't think its' rained here since May and though today I'm seeing the first signs of a cloudy day, the winter is slowly coming to an end. If only I could stay and enjoy the spring and summer and work on this tan just a bit longer - and of course, dive back into mango season!!

Anyways, work is keeping me busy until the final days - just wrapping up lose ends and bits - and finalising the plan for sustainability. Our athletes have had great performances in London including today's 200m men's heat with our 'Swazi bolt' entering with a time of 21.02 and running to 20.93 scoring a personal best and a new national record. He was 0.3 seconds away from qualiying for a spot in the semi's and 0.54 seconds behind the fastest man in the world...so it was a great day for Swaziland today. Phumlile ran well in her 400m though just behind her personal best, while the swimmer Luke broke a national record in the 50m freestyle also just missing out on a spot in the semi's.

The highlight of my experience here has been the night of the Opening Ceremony, where we had the TV ready for the occassion. When the Swazi team paraded out there was an explosion of excitement, whistling and celebrating! It was a great night with all the volunteers and board members who I've been working with. The sports development centre is still going strong and am looking forward to visiting in a few months just to make sure it continues to expand and grow ;) There is tremendous potential with the community's support and the children and coaches/volunteers at the centre.

The perception of sport in this country is a big challenge. It is for example uncommon for a family to push a child into taking part in sport (because sport doesnt pay in this country, why would you invest in the activities). There is little competition amongst the various sporting codes, and while I still see sport as a tool for development and empowerment, I believe it will continue to grow. If I've made an impact (however small or big) it is still my hope that sport will be available to all and provide the positive benefits of development. Other highlights have been being involved in schools and promoting Olympic education to hundreds of children and hearing such positive responses from teachers and parents.

Personal challenges have not been avoided - and while I'm constantly learning about my own characterisitcs one of the major ones is to be more assertive. As I am a very open-minded individual, have good faith in people, trust and respect almost all persons I come across, I'm learning that in different cultures or societies perceptions of people are very different.

So, as I'm starting to think about packing up, trying to get to the markets for souvenirs and maybe one last trip or adventure hiking on the weekend, I can't believe I've been blessed with this opportunity to live and work in such a beautiful country. I'm going to miss the peacefulness, the chaotic trips on the kombis trying to get to work, the beautiful scenery, the monkeys in my garden, the fresh fruits and vegetables, and all the children, friends and people I've worked with.

Thank you for reading my blog (over 1200 of you), thank you for the support and I will be sure to post some final photos in the next few weeks.

Lots of love,

No comments:

Post a Comment